Friday, August 21, 2009

Cormac McCathy and Blood Meridian

I recently finished reading Blood Meridian by Cormac McCarthy. I had read The Road previously, a book that intrigued me even if it didn't entirely convince me. I decided that the restraint of the language, its desolate quality, the way that nothing in the book ever quite peaked, was all part of what the book was trying to do: depict a world lacking. And anyways, I'm a sucker for apocalyptic fantasies and it was really just a slow, drawn-out thriller so it made for good summer reading outside in the sun. In the interim between then and now, I saw No Country for Old Men, which was an excellently made, drawn-out thriller that hinged on its own spareness and ultimately, insufficiency. So I was beginning to see a theme.

I had developed the conception of McCarthy as a masculine writer based both on my experience with him and his tendency to be a preferred author of several of my male friends. Reasons why I think this is valid (and I grant that these are based on largely traditional conceptions of masculinity, but so be it): he is violent; strong; hard and spare; individualistic, and quite romantic in his own way. It's a cowboy's, hero's romance, and though some would call it subversive, I don't think it is; a failed hero is all the more romantic for the failure. Another obvious point is that his books are about men. That is not unique in itself, except that they are almost exclusively about men without being obviously misogynist, which is no small achievement. (Or they are only as misogynist as they are generally misanthropic.)

Upon beginning Blood Meridian, I found it to be similar to The Road, if more violent. It starts off with a similar desolation, but then blossoms into a kind of pure literary beauty. He is indisputably an excellent writer, one with a full grasp of his technical abilities; but in spite of this, I could not wait for the book to end. Why? I have no objection to good writing. I like good writing. I think it is sometimes worth reading things only because they were written well. But come on, give me just one sentence without a freaking simile. Just one without decadent imagery, just one where the language doesn't buckle under the ripeness of its fruit. A typical passage: "They rode like men invested with a purpose whose origins were antecedent to them, like blood legatees of an order both imperative and remote. For although each man among them was discrete unto himself, conjoined they made a thing that had not been before and in that communal soul were wastes hardly reckonable more than those white regions on old maps where monsters do live and where there is nothing other of the known world save conjectural winds (182)." Gorgeous. Drop dead, utterly beautiful, a knockout of a passage. But I couldn't stand it at the end, the obsessive beauty that was so overwhelmingly present I had difficulty seeing it as beautiful. Was this the point? I don't know, I can't tell as it stands. It certainly would correlate to the way that The Road operates structurally as well as narratively, but as a strategy I just can't get behind it. As the novel blooms from aridity into lushness, I am stunned, then overwhelmed into indifference. With some writing, I pause and reflect on the excellence of the author, then continue reading. With Blood Meridian, all I thought about was the author. Perhaps I approached it too academically, but I found myself wishing that McCarthy would stop being a Good Writer long enough to write.

But then there's this: "You can find meanness in the least of creatures, but when God made man the devil was at his elbow." So I'm a little torn.

3 comments:

  1. Hey Matt!

    I'm excited to read all the updates about life in Providencia, but of course, being an English major, I obviously had to read your review of Cormac McCarthy as well. I've actually never read anything by him, but I have seen No Country For Old Men (Non, ce pays n'est pas pour le vieil homme...why do they translate it like that?), but my dad's a big fan, being all masculine and spare, himself.

    I think it's funny that your critique faults McCarthy for sacrificing "writing" by packing in too much "Good Writing," and yet, you preface this with the disclaimer of an overly academic approach. So would a less academic critic (or casual reader? or...Cormic McCarthy fan?!) simply and blissfully praise McCarthy's excellent prose?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, this is a great blog. Well written. If you like Cormac McCarthy (he's one of my favorite living American authors), try some of his other books. I hated The Road (too commercial) and hated No Country for Old Men (too commercial, and too gee let's see if I can get a movie out of this) and I thought Blood Meridian was "ok", though Harold Bloom says it's the "best" of his writings, it was too violent and diffuse for me. I did, however, LOVE LOVE LOVE his trilogy -- especially the middle book...and I loved Suttree and the Old Orchard and all the others...The language is fantastic, his descriptions right on point. If you come across unfamiliar words, do yourself a favor and look them up, don't just read past them...you will be amazed at the precision of the language in the descriptions he is creating...this is where a Kindle becomes helpful, I wold imagine, but probably not something that works for you "down there." . Try some Wallace Stegner if you haven't read him before...he's my all time favorite American writer...Angle of Repose is my favorite book of his, and he's written many other fantastic books about being a young man, and an older man, discovering places and relationships and settling the West. Big Rock Candy MOuntain is incredible.

    ReplyDelete
  3. your quote "conjectural winds" from page 160. cormac mccarthy's works act as reader personality tests. most people cower from his achievements. most people grope in the dark to find some way to place him. dont feel too bad.

    ReplyDelete